Can I vote in Kansas?

You can register and vote in Kansas if you meet all of the following qualifications:

  • You are a United States citizen.
  • You are a resident of the state of Kansas.
  • You are at least 18 years of age.

How do I register to vote?

You can register by:

  • Completing the federal voter registration form ( and mailing it to the address listed on the form;
  • At the motor vehicle office while applying for a new driver’s license or renewing an existing driver’s license. If registering at the motor vehicle office, you do not need to submit a birth certificate, passport, or similar “proof of citizenship” document.
  • Using the state voter registration form ( and mailing it to the county election official.

You do not need to provide a document proving your citizenship to register to vote using either form.


How do I register if I’m in the Safe at Home Program?

Register using either of the state or federal voter registration form and return it to the SaH program coordinator at PO Box 798, Topeka, KS 66601.


How do I vote if I am a Safe at Home program participant?

Safe at Home voters are on the permanent advance ballot list and vote by mail. The Safe at Home program coordinator will request a ballot from your county election officer. The ballot will be mailed to the program coordinator and then forwarded to you. You will complete the ballot and return to the program coordinator.


Can I have my mail ballot delivered to the shelter even if I registered at a different address?

Yes, you can have your mail ballot delivered to any temporary residence including a shelter. However, you should update your registration if you don’t intend to return to the address at which you registered.


What if I have problems at the polls?

If you are not on the voter list, first ask a poll worker to check the list again and to confirm that you are at the right polling place for your address. If you are at the right polling place, but your name is not on the voter list, ask for a provisional ballot. If you are at the wrong place, get help finding the right one.

If someone tries to harass or intimidate you, tell a poll worker right away.

If you’re unable to resolve the problem by speaking with a poll worker, call the Election Protection hotline at 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

I don’t have a permanent residence right now, what address do I use to register?

You can use the address of any location where you regularly stay, including a shelter or a friend's house. Although it is not required, it is best to register at an address where you regularly stay AND can receive mail, so that you can receive notifications about polling location changes, respond to inquiries about your residency, and receive notice of any problems with an absentee ballot.

Voting by Mail

To ensure that voting is accessible and safe during COVID-19, we encourage voters to utilize advance mail ballots (voting by mail). Here are the most important things to know about voting by advanced mail ballot.

  • All registered voters have a right to vote by mail.
  • You must complete an application to vote by mail.
  • You need to submit a new application for each election you’d like to vote by advance mail ballot. (Exception: You qualify for Permanent Advance Mail Ballot Status by having a permanent physical disability or illness or have been diagnosed as having a permanent illness.)
  • Your application for an advance mail ballot must be received by your county election office no later than 7 days before the general election.
  • You can receive your ballot up to 20 days before the election day and no later than 5 days before election day.
  • Ballot must be postmarked on Election Day and received within three days of the Election.
  • You can hand deliver it to any in-person polling location within the county you are registered before 7 pm. on Election Day.


If you have issues registering to vote, or if you were previously registered to vote and have been removed from the voter list, please contact us at [email protected] or 913-490-4100 or P.O. Box 917; Mission, KS 66201.