Want to vote in Kansas? Read our easy guide on registering and voting in the state of Kansas.

Can I vote in Kansas?
You can vote in Kansas if you meet all of the following qualifications:

  • You are a United States citizen
  • You are a resident of the state of Kansas
  • You are at least 18 years of age
How do I register to vote in Kansas?
There has been a great deal of confusion about the ways to register to vote in Kansas. You can register to vote in three ways. Regardless of the method you use, you will be able to vote in all elections. The three ways are:
  • Using the federal voter registration form, available online at http://www.eac.gov/voter_resources/ register_to_vote.aspx. You will need to mail the form in to the address listed on the form. Citizens who use the federal voter registration form do not need to submit a birth certificate, passport, or similar “proof of citizenship” document.
  • At the motor vehicle office, while applying for a new driver’s license or renewing an existing driver’s license. Citizens who register at the motor vehicle office do not need to submit a birth certificate, passport, or similar “proof of citizenship” document.
  • Using the state voter registration form, which can be filled out online or in person at your local election authority. Citizens who use the state form must submit a birth certificate, passport, or similar “proof of citizenship” document in order to complete the registration process. Citizens who use the state form, but do not submit this documentation, will not be registered and will not be permitted to cast a ballot.

What is the voter registration deadline?

In order to vote in the November 8, 2016 general election, you must submit your registration by October 18, 2016.
What if I’ve moved?
You must update your voter registration every time you move. You can do this online at www.voteks.org or by contacting your county election authority.
How do I know that I am registered?
You will receive a notice in the mail confirming your registration. You may also contact your local election authority to confirm your registration.
Can I vote before Election Day?
Yes! Any registered voter can vote in advance of the election. You have two options:
  • Request an absentee ballot, and vote in advance by mail. Absentee ballots may be requested from your local election authority. After your request is submitted, you will receive an absentee ballot by mail. Submit your completed ballot to your local election office by Election Day.
  • Many counties in Kansas offer advance, in-person voting. Counties may offer in-person voting up to 20 days prior to the November 8, 2016 election. Check with your local election office to find out whether advance, in-person voting is offered in your community.
Do I need to show photo identification in order to vote?
Yes. When voting in-person, you must show government-issued photo identification. Acceptable forms of documentation include:
  • A driver’s license or identification card issued by Kansas, another state, or an Indian tribe.
  • A conceled carry of handgun or weapon license issued by Kansas or by another state.
  • A United States passport.
  • An employee badge or ID document issued by a city, county, state, or federal government office.
  • A military identification document issued by the United States.
  • A student identification card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in Kansas.
  • A public assistance identification card issued by a city, county, state or federal government office.
Where do I vote?
You must vote at the polling place to which you’re assigned. Your assigned polling place will be listed on the voter registration acknowledgment card that you receive in the mail. You may also contact your local election authority to find out where to vote. You may also look up your polling place at www.voteks.org.
What if I have problems at the polls?
If you are not on the voter list, first ask a poll-worker to check the list again and to confirm that you are the right polling place for your address. If you’re at the right polling place, but your name isn’t on the voter list, ask for a provisional ballot. If you’re at the wrong polling place, ask for help to find the right one. If someone tries to harass or intimidate you, tell a poll-worker right away. If the poll-worker is the problem, contact your local election authority immediately.
Can I still vote if I have been convicted of a crime?
If you were convicted of a misdemeanor, you can vote. If you were convicted of a felony, you can vote once you complete your sentence (including any probation or parole) and have your rights restored. To have your rights restored, submit a form available at www.voteks.org to the Kansas Secretary of State.


Stay informed

ACLU of Kansas is part of a network of affiliates

Learn more about ACLU National