Position Overview: Under the direction and supervision of the Lead Canvasser, this temporary position will be primarily responsible for building public support and volunteer capacity through
door to door deep canvassing to help achieve the ACLU of Kansas’s strategic objectives. The ACLU will be hiring a canvassing team and each canvasser has the expectation of being able to
work collaboratively. The field canvasser will have responsibility of representing the ACLU and our values to the public, educating and identifying supporters in our community and mobilizing
them to join our campaigns, accurately and timely completing data entry, and meeting personal campaign recruitment goals.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- With the guidance of the field department, be able to develop relationships with residents at their homes regarding the Safe and Welcoming Wyandotte Campaign. This may involve sharing personal stories, carrying out persuasive conversations and/or offering information on the topic.
- Mobilize and expand support for state-based civil liberties issues among ACLU of Kansas members and non-member supporters by educating, identifying, and recruiting supporters and volunteers to participate in civil liberties campaigns and programs.
- Tracking and entering data in relation to canvassing results and supports gained on a daily basis.
- Meet daily campaign goals including number of doors knocked, conversations had, and new supporters recruited.
- Speak publicly on behalf of the ACLU of Kansas.
- Other duties as assigned
Field Canvassers should possess the following experience and personal attributes:
- Individuals who have personal experience with immigration, incarceration, the criminal justice system and/or are bilingual are encouraged to apply.
- The ability and willingness to walk up to 6 miles per day and work outside of “normal” business hours.
- While experience isn’t required, a history of political/advocacy/campaign organizing is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with the advocacy and community organizing landscape of Wyandotte County is preferred, but not required.
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral communications skills.
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and willing to learn.
- Detail oriented with the commitment to accurate data and data privacy.
This position is based in Wyandotte County; candidates must reside in the Kansas City Metropolitan area and have reliable transportation.
Compensation: This is a part-time, temporary position that runs for about four-six weeks. Compensation is $15/hour, with an anticipated weekly shift of 20 hours. Shifts will be Monday -
Friday from 4-8pm and occasional weekends. This position is not eligible for fringe benefits.
Application Procedure: Submit a resume and three professional references (identifying their relationship to you and including their email address and phone number). Email your application
to: ACLUjobs@aclukansas.org Please include “ACLU Canvasser” in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls or in-person applications, please. The job announcement will remain posted on our website, www.aclukansas.org, until the positions are filled.
The ACLU of Kansas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Kansas encourages applications from all qualified individuals
without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.