Under the direction and supervision of the Development Director, this newly-created position will provide administrative support in all facets of the organization’s resource development work including membership, major gifts, planned giving, events, foundation relations, and donor services. This position will be the primary manager of the donor database (which has been recently converted to a custom Salesforce system). The Development Associate will also provide administrative support to the Executive Director and work in close collaboration with our Advocacy, Communications, and Operations team members.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Very limited travel and occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Donor services & database administration
- Maintain proficiency in ACLU nationwide constituent relationship management systems, including research and reporting tools (training provided).
- Enter all contributions in the donor database and produce donation acknowledgement letters in a timely manner.
- Provide superior customer service to supporters seeking information, changes to contact preferences, etc.
- Work with the Operations Manager to coordinate timely deposits, reconciliation with accounting records, and audit support.
- Ensure that donor database is accurate and up-to-date.
- Produce necessary reports and mailing lists.
- Assist in drafting/designing donor communications and coordinate mailings.
- Acknowledge and welcome new members.
- Produce monthly membership report.
- Coordinate with Advocacy and Communications staff to share member lists and donor engagement records for the purpose of ensuring a seamless constituent experience.
Major gifts & planned giving
- Assist Development Director and Executive Director in managing a portfolio of approximately 100 potential major donors by maintaining donor records and producing reports.
- Assist in identifying potential major donor and planned giving prospects.
- Research foundation prospects and maintain accurate foundation records.
- Assist development and program staff in preparing grant applications.
- Ensure accurate record-keeping of application materials, deadlines, payment schedules, and required reports.
- Assist with membership conference planning, sponsor solicitation, and guest registration.
- Coordinate venue, catering, and invitations for donor events (usually small luncheons and receptions).
- Assist Executive Director with scheduling, calendar management, and travel arrangements.
- Act as a point of contact between Executive Director and external partners and stakeholders.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to handle sensitive situations and information professionally and with discretion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as keen attention to detail.
- Ability to travel and work outside normal office hours on a limited basis.
- Commitment to civil liberties principles and advancing the ACLU’s mission.
- Commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Experience in working with non-profit, advocacy, and/or community-based organizations—especially in fundraising or development.
- Experience with donor databases or constituent relationship management systems, especially Salesforce.
- Experience with publication software and design a plus.
Compensation for this full-time position is in the mid-$30,000s, but is negotiable based on experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Kansas compensation scale. Benefits include medical and disability insurance (fully paid by employer), a 401(k) program, and generous vacation, holiday, and sick leave.