Communications and Media Manager
It is our mission to protect and defend the constitutional rights and civil liberties of every individual in Kansas regardless of creed, race, religion, gender identification, or class. Our efforts are focused on serving and defending reproductive rights, racial justice, LGBT rights, First Amendment rights, immigrant rights, voting rights, criminal justice reform, and privacy rights.
The ACLU of Kansas protects the civil rights of segments of our population that have traditionally been marginalized, including women, people of color, lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people, prisoners, people with disabilities, immigrants, and the poor. We defend the freedoms of all residents of Kansas without consideration of political partisanship.
The Communications and Media Manager is responsible for propelling the ACLU Kansas’ image through consistent messaging and management of the ACLU Kansas communications and media platforms, ensuring all platforms are current and effective, and speak to the work of the affiliate. This position works closely with the advocacy and legal teams to develop internal and external communications and strategy. The Communications and Media Manager plans, drafts, designs and maintains social media posts (including video), website updates, and printed communication materials including talking points, press releases, campaign materials, reports, brochures, and mailers. Job Location : Overland Park, KS and job will onboard remotely.
Reporting Relationship and Organizational Impact
- Position reports to: Director of Strategic Communications
- Manager or Non-Manager Role: Manager
Manages the following employees:
- Associate-level communications employee(s) if/when this position is filled
Bargaining Unit Status: Contingent on direct reports
- This position will be part of the bargaining unit until an associate-level communications employee is hired
Internal and External:
- Has regular contact with Advocacy, Legal, Development and Administration departments to assist in the development of communications materials
- Manages the online and public presence of the organization
- Has regular online contact with our social media audience
- Budget Authority: None
- Has influence over messaging of organization’s legal, legislative, and community activities
- Demonstrated ability to distill complicated issues into clear, thoughtful press releases, social media posts, and internal- and external-facing campaign materials.
- Ability to gather information from multiple sources and compose clean, authoritative copy.
- Ability to create and edit video for use on website(s) and social media platforms.
- Ability to work with legal and advocacy teams to communicate effectively through social media, websites, and print publications.
- Ability to respectfully communicate with co-workers and across teams and functions; ability to work within an integrated advocacy model.
- An ability to write with clarity and eloquence, reflecting the affiliate’s position on complex and often controversial subjects in a pithy and compelling manner.
- Customer focused and detail oriented.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of organization in a multi-faceted environment.
- Ability to supervise others.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors of Science degree in journalism, English, or communications OR the equivalent in experience and education (i.e. a strong background in the news industry as a reporter, editor, or “multi-media” journalist; experience managing communications for an organization).
- Training and/or experience in web design and development.
- Basic understanding of law.
- Basic understanding of social, historical, and political context of race, gender, and class.
- At least four (4) years’ experience managing internal and external communications for an organization or other entity, including experience with social media platforms and websites.
- At least two (2) years’ experience supervising a team.
- An understanding of the concept of “earned media.”
- Basic knowledge of marketing, graphic design and publications.
- Working knowledge of Associated Press journalism standards.
- Knowledge of local and national history, current events, culture.
- News judgment/editorial discernment, and the ability to write headlines.
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge.
- Skilled in online marketing with a good understanding of major marketing channels.
- Positive attitude.
- Skilled in Adobe Suite (especially PhotoShop, InDesign, PremierePro).
- Interest in civil rights and civil liberties issues.
- A volume consumer of high-end news and information.
Duties and Responsibilities (Approximate % of overall time spent on task)
Manage all of the ACLU KS online communications platforms – 30%
- Evaluate, improve, update, and maintain ACLU KS websites.
- Evaluate, improve, update, and maintain social media platforms included Facebook and Twitter.
- Work in concert with the Development and Advocacy departments to facilitate and improve email campaigns.
- Manage all media vendors, including sub-contractors.
- Supervise any associate-level employees undertaking online platform or related communications work.
Oversee the implementation and growth of the social media platforms. – 40%
- Solicit and receive material for social media posts and website updates from the Advocacy, Development, and Legal departments.
- Create and maintain a clearance process for social media posting and communications. Keep postings energetic, current, and compelling, while ensuring they adhere to ACLU of Kansas policies and positions.
- Research, draft, edit, review, and design content for social media postings, the ACLU KS website, and CAN emails, including images and videos.
- Be reactive to current happenings at the affiliate, ACLU National, and current events. Quickly and efficiently create social media content that speaks to the moment.
- Assess messaging effectiveness and engagement. Manage and report on web analytics.
Design, draft, edit, and review a wide range of documents and resources for use by the affiliate. – 25%
- Create and maintain templates for external communications.
- Develop and maintain a periodic newsletter for internal and external communication.
- Develop background information and talking points and presentation materials on each major issue covered by the affiliate, and on additional issues as assigned.
- Create and maintain marketing and communication collateral that is consistent with the ACLU’s brand. Maintain and inventory of materials that all staff members can access.
Respond to media-related inquiries and social media engagements. – 5%
Work with the Director of Strategic Communications to manage and respond to incoming media calls, including opportunities for speaking, community outreach, and engagements for staff, clients, and volunteers.
Physical Requirements - This job is primarily sedentary work which requires extended periods of sitting and/or standing in an office setting.
Travel Status - Occasional in Kansas. Occasional in United States.
Disclaimer - This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Additional Information - To apply for this position, please submit cover letter and resume to Roberta Beier, Deputy Director, Operations, at [email protected]. The starting salary for this position is $50,000.